Saturday, March 14, 2009

Brown Sugar Cookie Bars


I got this recipe off the back of a bag of brown sugar that I have.
  • 1/4 C butter
  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3/4 C flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 C chocolate chips or chopped nuts (optional)
Melt butter in a saucepan. Remove from heat and add brown sugar. Stir until smooth then mix in the egg. Stir together the flour and baking powder and then add to the brown sugar mixture. Mix in vanilla. Add chocolate chips or nuts. Spread into a greased baking pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

I made this using margarine instead of butter and used about 2 fistfuls of chocolate chips (add more or less depending on how much you like them). I also baked them for exactly 20 minutes and took them out of the oven immediately. If you like cake-y cookies, you could try leaving them in the extra five minutes. These came out looking a lot like blondies. Next time I might try adding oats for a thicker texture. The batch is small and makes about 12 bars so I'd multiply the recipe for a lot of people.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Can you mail me some again too pweeeez!! Hey, what if you add some nuts, like walnut or macademia, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to say that this cookie would have been bland without the addition of something. They tasted really good, but the chocolate chips I put in gave it a kick. Chopped walnuts might be a good add or something sweet like white chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete